February 02, 2012

Six More Weeks of Winter

Happy Groundhog Day!
Punxsutawney Phil has seen his shadow and has predicted six more weeks for winter. This January has been the warmest in my memory. Just a few days ago there was a record high temperature since 1987. I'm not going to lie I have loved every minute of it. This past week I have been to the Omaha Zoo and the Botanical Gardens. It has been wonderful, but I have this fear that we will get the dreaded Omaha winter right smack dab in the middle of February. Since there is six for weeks of winter there is a pretty good chance this fear of mine will come true.
Today we had our 5th Annual Groundhog Day celebration. Traditionally we eat food that is grown in the ground. So, this year we had baked potatoes, carrots, and (pea)nuts. 
It turned out wonderful! We had delicious toppings for our baked potatoes. Thanks to everyone that brought something to share. 
 Another tradition that we have is eating in a fort or "cave" that we made from blankets and our kitchen table.
 It looks cozy.
This is the first year we have actually had kids come and join in the celebration. I think that they enjoyed the fort more than their moms did. 
 One of my favorite traditions of the day is to play Pin the Shadow on the Groundhog. Derek did an amazing job almost placing the shadow directly on the groundhog!

And of course, last but not least. Mud pie! Who can resist worms, dirt and mud. 

The tradition started when I went to Utah State. My roommates and I decided that we needed to celebrate the day of the groundhog. This is when we started the traditional items such as food from the ground, we usually have root beer, eating in a "cave," playing Pin the Shadow on the Groundhog and Mud pie. 
I missed spending it with my roommates, but It was fabulous to spend with my Omaha friends.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could have been there :) Those are fun traditions. I think it is great - especially since I always seem to need a little pick-me-up around this time of year. I hope you don't mind if I steal some of your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Groundhog Day is one of my favorite holidays! Sounds like you have a lot of fun and creative traditions.

    ReplyDelete