November 09, 2010

Fancy Pants

The other day I was talking with my friend who got a sweet deal on some jeans that were a bit to long for her. She had her MIL hem them for her by serging around the bottom and they look as good as new.
That brings me to my adventure this afternoon. About a year ago I bought a few pair of pants that were a bit too long for me and have been suffering with dragging jeans since then. Well. These new jeans of hers made me think of my super long ones. I guess I never thought of hemming them. So I did it this afternoon.
Serging around the bottom was a great solution to my problem, but I wanted to take it to the next level. I decided I wanted to leave the original hem on so it didn't look as if I bought a pair of pants that were too long for me.
I needed to take off 2 1/2 inches from the length of my jeans. So I measured half of that (1 1/4) so that it wasn't double short for me.

I sewed right along the edge of the original hem and made sure that I pinned 1 1/4 inches of material all along the bottom.
Iron it down, and it looks as good as new.
Thanks for the great idea friendly neighbor!

2 comments:

  1. Whoah, good work! What an inventive way to keep them from looking so altered. It looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete